Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu April 23, 2009
Removal Scam in Lyon
By Carrie Pond
Paducah, KY – Officials with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet are warning Lyon County residents of a debris removal work scam in the area. A number of residents have reported receiving phone solicitations for debris removal work on their private property. The solicitors claim that after paying for removal work, property owners can submit invoices to FEMA to get an 80 percent reimbursement for the work. No such reimbursement is available. Those receiving such solicitations are asked to contact their local law enforcement agencies. FEMA advises that landowners should only do business with licensed, reputable debris removal companies and should not pay for work in advance.