Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu September 26, 2013
Ramsey Predicts TN Supermarket Wine Will Pass
Tennessee Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey predicts that lawmakers will approve a bill to allow wine to be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores next session. The Blountville Republican told reporters in Nashville yesterday that lawmakers on the fence about the proposal were surprised by the backlash to the failure of this year's bill in a House committee.
That bill died when House Local Government Chairman Matthew Hill, who had supported an earlier version, cast the deciding vote against the measure. Ramsey called that series of events a "debacle." Current law prevents grocery stores from selling any alcoholic drinks stronger than beer, while package stores can't sell anything except booze and lottery tickets.