Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue December 29, 2009
Ramsey: Lifting Fundraising No Longer Top Priority
Nashville, TN – Tennessee State Senate speaker and Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron Ramsey says lifting an in-session fundraising ban is no longer among his top priorities. Ramsey says his immediate concerns are dominated by a special session on education and by the state's bleak budget picture. The Legislature enacted the in-session fundraising ban after the FBI's 2005 undercover bribery sting known as Tennessee Waltz that led to the convictions of five former lawmakers. Ramsey has said the ban is unfair on sitting lawmakers seeking office outside the General Assembly. Fellow Senator Jim Kyle, who is seeking the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, says he remains opposed to lifting the ban.