Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon February 18, 2013
Ramsey Against NRA-Backed Sealing of Carry Permits
Republican Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey is opposing a National Rifle Association-backed effort to block public access to the state's handgun carry permits. Ramsey says the ability to scrutinize the identities of people with handgun carry permits strengthens gun advocates' arguments that they are worthy of carrying loaded firearms in public.
Ramsey is one of the Legislature's top gun rights advocates, and he's behind this year's bill that would allow gun permit holders to keep their weapons in their cars no matter where they are parked. The last serious effort to seal the records passed the House in 2009 but failed in the Senate. Republican Rep. William Lamberth of Gallatin, the bill's main sponsor, says he wants to protect permit holders' privacy.
2012 Tennessee General Assembly