Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon February 18, 2013
Ramsey Against NRA-Backed Sealing of Carry Permits
Republican Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey is opposing a National Rifle Association-backed effort to block public access to the state's handgun carry permits. Ramsey says the ability to scrutinize the identities of people with handgun carry permits strengthens gun advocates' arguments that they are worthy of carrying loaded firearms in public.
Ramsey is one of the Legislature's top gun rights advocates, and he's behind this year's bill that would allow gun permit holders to keep their weapons in their cars no matter where they are parked. The last serious effort to seal the records passed the House in 2009 but failed in the Senate. Republican Rep. William Lamberth of Gallatin, the bill's main sponsor, says he wants to protect permit holders' privacy.
2012 Tennessee General Assembly