Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon February 18, 2013
Ramsey Against NRA-Backed Sealing of Carry Permits
Republican Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey is opposing a National Rifle Association-backed effort to block public access to the state's handgun carry permits. Ramsey says the ability to scrutinize the identities of people with handgun carry permits strengthens gun advocates' arguments that they are worthy of carrying loaded firearms in public.
Ramsey is one of the Legislature's top gun rights advocates, and he's behind this year's bill that would allow gun permit holders to keep their weapons in their cars no matter where they are parked. The last serious effort to seal the records passed the House in 2009 but failed in the Senate. Republican Rep. William Lamberth of Gallatin, the bill's main sponsor, says he wants to protect permit holders' privacy.
2012 Tennessee General Assembly