Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Thu December 6, 2012
Quinn's Budget Cuts Stand
The Illinois House has not overridden Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget cuts that are forcing some prisons and other state facilities to close. The House did not consider an override vote Wednesday before adjourning the last day of veto session. House Speaker Michael Madigan did not think it was necessary to take action against the measure.
The Senate voted last week to reject the $56 million cuts for Tamms high-security prison and other facilities. Quinn opposed the override and is calling the House’s decision to not call a vote a victory for taxpayers.