Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Thu December 6, 2012
Quinn's Budget Cuts Stand
The Illinois House has not overridden Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget cuts that are forcing some prisons and other state facilities to close. The House did not consider an override vote Wednesday before adjourning the last day of veto session. House Speaker Michael Madigan did not think it was necessary to take action against the measure.
The Senate voted last week to reject the $56 million cuts for Tamms high-security prison and other facilities. Quinn opposed the override and is calling the House’s decision to not call a vote a victory for taxpayers.