Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu December 6, 2012
Quinn's Budget Cuts Stand
The Illinois House has not overridden Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget cuts that are forcing some prisons and other state facilities to close. The House did not consider an override vote Wednesday before adjourning the last day of veto session. House Speaker Michael Madigan did not think it was necessary to take action against the measure.
The Senate voted last week to reject the $56 million cuts for Tamms high-security prison and other facilities. Quinn opposed the override and is calling the House’s decision to not call a vote a victory for taxpayers.