Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Thu December 6, 2012
Quinn's Budget Cuts Stand
The Illinois House has not overridden Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget cuts that are forcing some prisons and other state facilities to close. The House did not consider an override vote Wednesday before adjourning the last day of veto session. House Speaker Michael Madigan did not think it was necessary to take action against the measure.
The Senate voted last week to reject the $56 million cuts for Tamms high-security prison and other facilities. Quinn opposed the override and is calling the House’s decision to not call a vote a victory for taxpayers.