Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Thu December 6, 2012
Quinn's Budget Cuts Stand
The Illinois House has not overridden Gov. Pat Quinn’s budget cuts that are forcing some prisons and other state facilities to close. The House did not consider an override vote Wednesday before adjourning the last day of veto session. House Speaker Michael Madigan did not think it was necessary to take action against the measure.
The Senate voted last week to reject the $56 million cuts for Tamms high-security prison and other facilities. Quinn opposed the override and is calling the House’s decision to not call a vote a victory for taxpayers.