Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Fri January 25, 2013
Quinn Signs Law to Require Sex Abuse Awareness Programs in Schools
A new law is requiring all Illinois public schools to have sexual assault and abuse awareness programs. Gov. Pat Quinn signed the requirement Thursday, effective immediately. Age appropriate programs will be instituted for pre-K, elementary, middle and high school students. Erin’s Law is named after Illinois native Erin Merryn who was a victim of sexual abuse as a child and is trying to pass the law in all 50 states.
Five states have already implemented earlier versions of Erin’s Law, but Illinois is the first to pass legislation that comprehensively addresses child sex abuse education statewide.