Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon August 27, 2012
Quinn Rejects Illinois Plastic Bag Recycling Bill
Illinois manufacturers say they're disappointed with Gov. Pat Quinn's veto of a bill requiring a plastic bag recycling program. Quinn rejected the proposed law yesterday saying it limited local municipalities. It would have required manufacturers to set up recycling programs with the goal of increasing the recycling rate. It also would have required them to register with the state. Retail stores then could use bags only from those manufacturers. The Illinois Manufacturers' Association says the bill represented an opportunity for Illinois to become a national leader in recycling. Environmentalists didn't support the law, saying its goals were paltry and would limit local municipalities from enacting bans.