Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Wed July 10, 2013
Quinn: Inaction on pension "lets down taxpayers"
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn says lawmakers who didn't send him a pension overhaul bill have let down taxpayers. Quinn set Tuesday as the deadline for a bipartisan pension panel to report back with a plan. That was even as members of the so-called conference committee formed last month called his deadline arbitrary and irresponsible. Quinn says there'll be consequences, but he's declined to say exactly what he'd do.
However, Quinn didn't deny the possibility of cutting legislative salaries from a budget bill. He's yet to sign legislation that would put parts of the state budget in place. If he doesn't sign it, the comptroller won't be able to issue paychecks to numerous state employees. Quinn's spokeswoman would only say the governor is reviewing the bill.