Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Fri January 17, 2014
Quinn Encourages Low Income Tax Credit
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn is encouraging low income families in Illinois to sign up for a tax credit.
The Earned Income Tax Credit is intended to provide working families incentive to work and get tax relief. The governor's office says 900,000 families received $160 million in tax credits last year.
But Quinn says there are many more eligible families in Illinois who didn't apply.
He says it will drive economic growth if more families receive the tax savings. The Internal Revenue Service estimates that 1 in 5 eligible taxpayers don't claim the tax credit.