Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu November 8, 2012
Quinn Encourages Illinoisians to Play Lottery for Veterans
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn has bought $20 worth of Veterans Cash lottery tickets and is calling on others to play the game which benefits military veterans in the state. The governor helped launch the new game ahead of Veterans Day.
More than $10 million has been raised for veterans' organizations since the program started in 2006. All net proceeds go to groups like The Chicago Lighthouse, a nonprofit that helps the visually impaired, including veterans. Grants have been awarded to 190 organizations, including those specializing in post-traumatic stress disorder. Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs Director Erica Borggren says it's a very tangible way to thank those who’ve served their country.