Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Wed May 30, 2012
Public Comment Begins for Kentucky's Blue Ribbon Tax Commission
Lieutenant Governor Jerry Abramson and Kentucky’s Blue Ribbon Tax Commission are seeking public comment to help develop recommendations on overhauling the state tax code.
Abramson says around 100 people attended the first of six regional public hearings Tuesday night in Paducah. The commission wraps up public meetings in August and will have three months to finish the plan by a November deadline.
Abramson is hopeful the plan, once complete, will pass the legislature. “Well I’m sure there will be people that will disagree with whatever the consensus decision recommendations are from this blue ribbon group." said Abramson. "But, you need a majority. The hope is that we’ll be able to with democratic and republican legislators on the commission that they that they will help us with their respective caucuses to move the proposals forward.”
With the plan complete before Thanksgiving. Abramson says the Governor could call a special session to pass the recommendation. It would only require a majority of votes in each chamber in a special session. If Gov. Beshear waits until the next regular session in January it would take a super majority in each chamber to pass the legislation.