Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Thu May 30, 2013
Probe Of Well-Connected Truck Stop Chain May Widen
The federal investigation into the truck stop chain owned by the family of Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam and Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam led to its first convictions this week and threatens to widen against employees at Pilot Flying J. Court documents allege that sales teams were being trained on how to scam the company's customers out of rebates and get away with it. Pilot's regional sales director and regional accounts representative both pleaded guilty yesterday to conspiracy to commit mail fraud.
The Knoxville-based chain is run by CEO Jimmy Haslam, who has denied wrongdoing. He's the brother of Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam. Pilot Flying J, the country's largest diesel retailer with annual revenues of $31 billion, was founded by their father.