Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Fri March 6, 2009
Primary Bill Clears Senate
By Carrie Pond
Frankfort, KY – Legislation to move the filing deadline from January to April for Kentucky candidates has cleared the Senate. The measure pushes back the deadline from the last Tuesday in January to the last Tuesday in April. It also moves the presidential primary from May to August. Senator Julian Carrol passed on the vote.
"I don't think we need to be constantly changing election dates and confusing the voters because the registration question is involved and because they have to plan sometimes their being in or out of town because of their ability to vote or not."
Senate Majority Floor Leader Dan Kelly says moving the filing deadline to April ensures all members of the General Assembly would be fully accountable for every vote they make during the session. The Senate has passed identical legislation on two previous occasions.