Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Fri March 6, 2009
Primary Bill Clears Senate
By Carrie Pond
Frankfort, KY – Legislation to move the filing deadline from January to April for Kentucky candidates has cleared the Senate. The measure pushes back the deadline from the last Tuesday in January to the last Tuesday in April. It also moves the presidential primary from May to August. Senator Julian Carrol passed on the vote.
"I don't think we need to be constantly changing election dates and confusing the voters because the registration question is involved and because they have to plan sometimes their being in or out of town because of their ability to vote or not."
Senate Majority Floor Leader Dan Kelly says moving the filing deadline to April ensures all members of the General Assembly would be fully accountable for every vote they make during the session. The Senate has passed identical legislation on two previous occasions.