Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Mon July 1, 2013
Popeye Jones' Son Drafted By NHL Predators
The Nashville Predators have drafted a young standout with local connections. Seth Jones was taken fourth in the first round of the NHL Draft by the Nashville Predators. He is the son of Ronald "Popeye" Jones, who was a basketball standout for Murray State University in Kentucky and went on to play in the NBA.
Seth is considered a top defenseman. At 6-foot-4 and 205 pounds, Seth scored 14 goals and had 42 assists in 61 games for the Portland Winterhawks this past season. He is the highest selected African American in NHL draft history. Popeye Jones was playing then for the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, who shared their arena with the city’s NHL team, the Avalanche, when his son developed interest in the sport.