Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue August 14, 2012
Plummer Confident GOP Can Win 12th District Race
The Republican running to replace Southern Illinois’ U.S. Representative Jerry Costello says he's confident he can put the 12th District in the GOP column for the first time since World War II. Lumber company executive Jason Plummer recently told backers this is their year to get it done.
Plummer says the 12th Congressional District has struggled because of what he calls poor public policy, and says he expects a close race with Democrat Bill Enyart. Plummer’s refusal to make his tax returns public is one of the issues stirring up controversy campaign. A spokesperson for Bill Enyart argues that refusal coincides with Plummer’s failure to discuss how he personally profits from they term an agenda that gives more tax breaks for millionaires. The 12th District covers the southwestern portion of Illinois from Cairo north through Carbondale to Alton.