Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Tue August 14, 2012
Plummer Confident GOP Can Win 12th District Race
The Republican running to replace Southern Illinois’ U.S. Representative Jerry Costello says he's confident he can put the 12th District in the GOP column for the first time since World War II. Lumber company executive Jason Plummer recently told backers this is their year to get it done.
Plummer says the 12th Congressional District has struggled because of what he calls poor public policy, and says he expects a close race with Democrat Bill Enyart. Plummer’s refusal to make his tax returns public is one of the issues stirring up controversy campaign. A spokesperson for Bill Enyart argues that refusal coincides with Plummer’s failure to discuss how he personally profits from they term an agenda that gives more tax breaks for millionaires. The 12th District covers the southwestern portion of Illinois from Cairo north through Carbondale to Alton.