Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Wed November 28, 2012
Peabody to Close IL Mine
A Peabody Energy Corp. subsidiary is permanently closing a southern Illinois mine because it failed to meet safety, compliance and performance standards. Bay Ridge Inc. says operations at the Willow Lake Mine near Harrisburg are unsustainable. The mine closing will affect about 400 workers.
The coal company says it expects to incur a non-cash, one-time charge of $40 million to $60 million, or 10 to 25 cents per share after tax, in the fourth quarter. The charge is mainly to write off assets, increase asset retirement obligations and accrue severance.