Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Wed November 28, 2012
Peabody to Close IL Mine
A Peabody Energy Corp. subsidiary is permanently closing a southern Illinois mine because it failed to meet safety, compliance and performance standards. Bay Ridge Inc. says operations at the Willow Lake Mine near Harrisburg are unsustainable. The mine closing will affect about 400 workers.
The coal company says it expects to incur a non-cash, one-time charge of $40 million to $60 million, or 10 to 25 cents per share after tax, in the fourth quarter. The charge is mainly to write off assets, increase asset retirement obligations and accrue severance.