Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed November 28, 2012
Peabody to Close IL Mine
A Peabody Energy Corp. subsidiary is permanently closing a southern Illinois mine because it failed to meet safety, compliance and performance standards. Bay Ridge Inc. says operations at the Willow Lake Mine near Harrisburg are unsustainable. The mine closing will affect about 400 workers.
The coal company says it expects to incur a non-cash, one-time charge of $40 million to $60 million, or 10 to 25 cents per share after tax, in the fourth quarter. The charge is mainly to write off assets, increase asset retirement obligations and accrue severance.