Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Fri November 16, 2012
Patriot Coal Agrees to Close Mountaintop Removal Mines
A St. Louis-based coal company with mines throughout the region has agreed to phase out its mountaintop removal sites. Patriot Coal agreed to the measure as part of a settlement that grants the company more time to control water pollution at its mines in West Virginia.
Patriot has several underground mines in the western part of Kentucky, as well as the Bluegrass Coal surface mine in Henderson that was already scheduled to close. The closures won't currently affect any of the underground mines. But if other companies face similar lawsuits over mountaintop removal, the practice could cease to be profitable.