Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri November 16, 2012
Patriot Coal Agrees to Close Mountaintop Removal Mines
A St. Louis-based coal company with mines throughout the region has agreed to phase out its mountaintop removal sites. Patriot Coal agreed to the measure as part of a settlement that grants the company more time to control water pollution at its mines in West Virginia.
Patriot has several underground mines in the western part of Kentucky, as well as the Bluegrass Coal surface mine in Henderson that was already scheduled to close. The closures won't currently affect any of the underground mines. But if other companies face similar lawsuits over mountaintop removal, the practice could cease to be profitable.