Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Sat August 11, 2012
Panama Canal expansion's effect on Paducah ports
The Panama Canal expansion project promises to increase river traffic in our region, but to service those ships, area ports will need to invest money to make the ports accommodate large ships. The Alabama Port Authority has made some of those investments in Mobile. Vice President of trade and development for the port authority Mark Sheppard spoke to Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce members as a follow-up to a Transportation Summit the Chamber held in May 2011. Chamber President Elaine Spalding said ports in Mobile and Paducah must coordinate to handle larger shipping vessels that could arrive from the expanded Panama Canal or from other locations. Casey Northcutt sat down with Sheppard after the event to add some details to this big project.