Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed May 8, 2013
Paducah Fire Department Proposes User Fees
Paducah residents could be paying a new user fee for certain fire department services in the future. Fire Chief Steve Kyle presented the mayor and city commission with a cost recovery proposal yesterday. He suggests using a vendor service to pass along the fees to insurance companies after the department responds to vehicle fires or extrication incidents. In cases of burning without a permit, the fees are levied on private citizens.
The costs would apply to residents and non-residents alike and would help recover funds the department spends when it responds to such events. The commission asked Kyle to draft an ordinance for the proposal and to present more research on other cities with similar cost recovery policies for their fire departments.