Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Wed May 8, 2013
Paducah Fire Department Proposes User Fees
Paducah residents could be paying a new user fee for certain fire department services in the future. Fire Chief Steve Kyle presented the mayor and city commission with a cost recovery proposal yesterday. He suggests using a vendor service to pass along the fees to insurance companies after the department responds to vehicle fires or extrication incidents. In cases of burning without a permit, the fees are levied on private citizens.
The costs would apply to residents and non-residents alike and would help recover funds the department spends when it responds to such events. The commission asked Kyle to draft an ordinance for the proposal and to present more research on other cities with similar cost recovery policies for their fire departments.