Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Wed November 11, 2009
Paducah Adopts Texting while Driving Ban
By Chris Taylor
Paducah, KY – Paducah City Commissioners passed a resolution yesterday to ban cell phone texting while driving for all drivers and makes it illegal for drivers under 18 years old to use a cell phone at all. The resolution anticipates support of a pre-filed bill in the Kentucky General Assembly. That bill would create a probationary period for the public to become accustomed to the changes, after which a fine of $50 could be issued. Proponents of the bill cite a recent study that finds drivers who text are 23 times more likely to be in a collision.