Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Thu May 2, 2013
Orb is the Early Favorite in 20-Horse Kentucky Derby Field
The post positions are set for Saturday’s running of the Kentucky Derby.
Orb has been made the early 7-2 favorite for the Derby and a full field of 20 horses.
Trained by Shug McGaughey, Orb drew the No. 16 post on Wednesday. Four horses have won from there, most recently Animal Kingdom two years ago. McGaughey is in racing's Hall of Fame, but the 62-year-old trainer has yet to win the Derby in six previous tries. He says he's happy with the post position draw.
"As to where we stand right now, we got a good post, the horse has done well, we’re the morning line favorite, what more could I ask for on a Wednesday afternoon?" McGaughey said.
Verrazano drew the No. 14 post and is the second Derby favorite at 4-1. The colt is one of a record-tying five starters trained by Todd Pletcher.
Santa Anita Derby winner Goldencents is the third choice at 5-1 and will break from the No. 8 post. He's trained by Doug O'Neill, who won last year with I'll Have Another.