Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri November 20, 2009
October Jobless Wrap
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – In July, Kentucky's jobless rate hit 11%, the state's highest rate in 26 years. It rose to 11-point-two percent in August, but fell to 10.9% in September. But last month, the commonwealth's jobless rate again rose to 11.2%.
The professional and business sectors surged by five thousand positions in October. Other sectors seeing job increases include government, financial activities, leisure and hospitality, mining and logging, and construction.
On the downside, manufacturing, information, educational and health services, and repair and maintenance all recorded job losses.
An estimated 1.8 million Kentuckians had jobs in October, but another 232,000 were unemployed.