Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Thu August 8, 2013
Number Of KY Coal Jobs Lowest Since 1927
The state says Kentucky's coal jobs have dropped to the lowest level in the more than 85 years that the state has kept records of the number. The Energy and Environment Cabinet says eastern Kentucky mines cut 916 jobs from April through June, while western Kentucky mines added 65 jobs, an increase of 1.5%.
The cabinet said the number of people working at coal mines and facilities statewide dropped to 12,342 as of July, the lowest number since 1927. The report also said eastern Kentucky coal production has dropped more than 41%in two years.