Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue February 14, 2012
Nuclear Plant Workers Unite
A small band of nuclear power plant workers want the McCracken County Fiscal Court's support of a resolution for workers to receive federal compensation for occupation-related illnesses. Gary Vander Boegh, vice president of a company lobbying for the just treatment of power plant claimants, spoke on their behalf. He said those claimants, including some once employed by the Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant, have not received compensation from the Department of Labor for work-related health problems. He also said they have filed legitimate claims. Vander Boegh asked the Court to pass a resolution supporting the workers. Judge-Executive Van Newberry said he thinks the Court will vote in Vander Boegh's favor, but members must see a draft of the resolution before making a final decision.