Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Tue October 16, 2012
NRC Gives Honeywell Plant Safety Improvement Plan
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has outlined safety improvements needed at the Honeywell nuclear refinery plant in Metropolis before it can reopen. NRC inspectors found earlier this year that the plant did not have proper bracings and support to withstand a major earthquake or tornado. After the inspection, the plant shut down operations, laying off over 220 union workers. Since that time Honeywell and the NRC have been negotiating a plan to upgrade the facility.
Honeywell officials say in a statement released today that initial design work is ongoing. Upgrades are expected to take nine to 12 months once the design work is complete. Honeywell officials have not set a date for restarting plant operations.