Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Mon November 12, 2012
New Trail Opening in Land Between the Lakes
Visitors to Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area will be hiking and biking along a new scenic trail between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. The Central Hardwoods Scenic Trail runs east and west, parallel to U.S. 68/Kentucky 80.
LBL Trails Manager Bill Ryan says the 3.2-mile eastern portion of the trail is paved and gives shoreline views of Lake Barkley and opportunities to view wildlife in open areas. The central and western portion is 8.5 miles and uses a compacted stone surface. Ryan says traveling along the trail gives visitors a chance to explore rolling hills and ridge tops of the central hardwood forest ecosystem. Trails Unlimited, one of the Forest Service's 17 enterprise units, helped design and build the trail.