Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon November 4, 2013
New Area Code Going Into Effect For Region
Mandatory 10-digit dialing is on its way for telephone customers in western Kentucky as part of the new 364 area code being added in the region.
The state Public Service Commission says the area is halfway through a transition period that allows customers to become accustomed to the new dialing patterns.
A six-month "permissive dialing" period began in August. Customers now can dial either seven or 10 digits when making local calls in the 270 area code.
Mandatory 10-digit-dialing of local calls begins this coming Febuary 1.
The 364 area code was created nearly a year ago. It will overlap the existing 270 area code, which the PSC considered the least disruptive option for customers.