Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue November 19, 2013
National Weather Service Publishes Damage Survey of Brookport Tornado
Sunday’s Tornado that struck Brookport, Illinois contained peak winds of 145-mph and stayed on the ground for 11.5 miles. The national weather service published the damage survey of the EF-3 tornado late Monday afternoon.
The storm killed three people, injured more than 13 and destroyed dozens of mobile homes. The tornado struck at 2:20 p.m. and averaged 250 yards wide. The NWS reports the damage assessment could change as a team continues to follow the storm track into Kentucky.
Another EF-3 three tornado struck Union and Henderson Counties in Kentucky at 2:40 p.m. causing significantly less damage than the Brookport tornado.