Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue July 17, 2012
Murray is the "Friendliest Small Town in America" in Best of the Road Contest
Rand McNally and USA Today have awarded Murray the title of “Friendliest Small Town in America." The award comes from the organizations' Best of the Road contest. The friendliest town award comes ironically on a divisive day for city residents as they vote on whether or not to allow package alcohol sales.
Murray Mayor Bill Wells says the win shows that even in the midst of a polarizing vote, the city is still a friendly place.
“I think it really kind of talks about, really the diversity in this town. Some are very much opposed to it some are very much for it. And what the benefits could be to the city. It’s just ironic to me that both things are being decided on the same day.”
The award brings with it added visibility within Rand McNally publications and the Travel Channel. Walla Walla Washington won last year's title of Friendliest Small Town in America.