Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Thu October 24, 2013
MSU Football Player Arrested, Charged with Assault
Murray State University football player Walter Powell is being charged with fourth-degree assault and theft after an incident with his ex-girlfriend this week at the Calloway County Fairgrounds.
County sheriff’s deputies responded to a call from a young lady claiming her ex-boyfriend had assaulted her. Deputies issued a warrant for Powell, and he was arrested at his residence later that night.
He was temporarily housed in the Calloway County Jail. He was released on a $500 surety bond.
Sheriff officials say an investigation into the Oct. 19 incident is still ongoing. Assault of the fourth degree is a misdemeanor.
Powell is a senior starting wide receiver for the Murray State Football team.
The university athletics department issued a statement Wednesday, saying that the details of the incident so far made public were not grounds for a suspension or athletic punishment:
“The Athletic Department is aware of the incident involving Walter Powell, and has been investigating it the past few days in an attempt to identify the facts surrounding the matter. We do not condone any type of behavior that would embarrass the program, the University or be harmful to any individual. Based on our findings to date, and current knowledge of the event in question, we do not believe any suspension or punishment is warranted. Should additional information come to light, the matter will be re-examined as necessary.”