Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
2013 TN General Assembly
Mon April 8, 2013
Most Top Issues Decided as Tennessee Session Hits Final Lap
Republican legislative leaders in Tennessee are glad the most contentious issues of this session are largely decided as they enter the final weeks.
Gov. Bill Haslam's decision last week to withdraw his limited school voucher proposal highlights the sometimes contentious nature of his relationship with fellow Republicans in the Legislature, who now hold a supermajority. The governor was unable to persuade a faction led by Sen. Brian Kelsey to refrain from trying to expand the bill to more families.
But the end of the debate over vouchers heads off a last-minute showdown over the issue in committees and on the floor as lawmakers put the final touches on the state's annual spending plan.