Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Wed October 2, 2013
Military Veterans Join IL Push For Gay Marriage
Illinois military veterans are joining the effort to legalize gay marriage in the state. A group called "Veterans Unite for Marriage" is pressing the Illinois House to OK same-sex marriage during the legislative session that begins later this month.
Federal benefits are available to spouses of gay service members, but only if their marriages are recognized in their home states.
Gay marriage legislation won Senate approval in February. But it never had enough support in the House — like the Senate, controlled by Democrats — to get a roll call there before the General Assembly adjourned in May.