Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Wed October 2, 2013
Military Veterans Join IL Push For Gay Marriage
Illinois military veterans are joining the effort to legalize gay marriage in the state. A group called "Veterans Unite for Marriage" is pressing the Illinois House to OK same-sex marriage during the legislative session that begins later this month.
Federal benefits are available to spouses of gay service members, but only if their marriages are recognized in their home states.
Gay marriage legislation won Senate approval in February. But it never had enough support in the House — like the Senate, controlled by Democrats — to get a roll call there before the General Assembly adjourned in May.