Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Wed October 2, 2013
Military Veterans Join IL Push For Gay Marriage
Illinois military veterans are joining the effort to legalize gay marriage in the state. A group called "Veterans Unite for Marriage" is pressing the Illinois House to OK same-sex marriage during the legislative session that begins later this month.
Federal benefits are available to spouses of gay service members, but only if their marriages are recognized in their home states.
Gay marriage legislation won Senate approval in February. But it never had enough support in the House — like the Senate, controlled by Democrats — to get a roll call there before the General Assembly adjourned in May.