Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue August 11, 2009
Metropolis City Council Meeting Reviews Deficit
Massac, IL – The Metropolis city council last night discussed a budget deficit, a sewer separation project and rising water bills. The city has a 2.5 million dollar deficit due to an EPA ordered separation of sewer and runoff pipes. Also the water bills can no longer be subsidized by the local gaming industry because of a drop in revenue. City officials have applied for government loans and grants to help buffer citizens from large sudden hikes to sewer and water rates. The financial committee meets on the issue August 20th and there will be a full city council meeting August 24th.