Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
Wed December 12, 2012
Memorial Honors Soldiers Killed in 1985 Crash
The 101st Airborne Division and its 2nd Brigade Combat Team will hold a memorial service Wednesday to mark the anniversary of a 1985 plane crash that took the lives of 248 Fort Campbell soldiers. It’s been 27 years since Arrow Airlines Flight 1285 crashed in Gander, Newfoundland killing soldiers were from the 3rd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division.
They were returning home after a six-month peacekeeping mission in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. The plane stopped in Gander to refuel and crashed immediately upon takeoff, killing all 256 people on board.