Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Wed December 12, 2012
Memorial Honors Soldiers Killed in 1985 Crash
The 101st Airborne Division and its 2nd Brigade Combat Team will hold a memorial service Wednesday to mark the anniversary of a 1985 plane crash that took the lives of 248 Fort Campbell soldiers. It’s been 27 years since Arrow Airlines Flight 1285 crashed in Gander, Newfoundland killing soldiers were from the 3rd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division.
They were returning home after a six-month peacekeeping mission in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. The plane stopped in Gander to refuel and crashed immediately upon takeoff, killing all 256 people on board.