Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Thu January 23, 2014
Meet West Kentucky Coal Miners
In 2013 for the first time in over 50 years West Kentucky coal mines produced more than their eastern counterparts. Coal companies employ more than 4,000 people in 10 west Kentucky counties, and more than 90% of Kentucky’s power comes from this ancient mineral. But there is much more beyond these numbers. In this WKMS News Documentary we explore West Kentucky Coal and its people, places and power.
This entry for the KAPB competition singles out a part of the documentary that focus on the people responsible for mining coal.
Chad Lampe and producer, Austin Ramsey ventured down an 800 foot mine shaft to tell the story of the miners of the Warrior Coal Cardinal Mine in Webster County. The report uncovers what miners do and why they do it.
This documentary originally aired Sunday, September 1st, 2013.