Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Mon December 10, 2012
MCVB Gets Student Help Revamping Freedom Fest
The Murray Convention and Visitors Bureau hopes ideas generated by Murray State students revamp the annual Freedom Fest celebration.
The Fourth of July weekend event is coming up on its 26th year in Calloway County. Murray CVB Executive Director Erin Carrico says the event has struggled with financing and community image, and organizers wanted new ideas for the future.
Murray State's Advanced Public Relations class spent an entire semester preparing plans, and presented them today to Carrico and others.
“When you’re in it and you’ve done it for so many years, you kind of put blinders on … unintentionally. And it’s hard to see and think outside of the box. And that’s what these students—they did a great job for us," said Carrico.
Ideas included a downtown history walk, an event mascot, more music, and an MSU alumni basketball showcase. Carrico says the event committee will bring in the best plans this summer.