Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Thu April 26, 2012
McCracken Fiscal Court Discusses Animal Shelter Funding
The McCracken Fiscal Court tentatively plans to spend about $364,000 dollars next year to cover expenses at the county's animal shelter.
That’s around 11 times more than last year’s budget. Judge-Executive Van Newberry says about half of the amount should be a one time expense for the construction of a new shelter. The county opened the shelter in November just before cutting ties with the McCracken County Humane Society following an euthanasia scandal. Newberry tells the Paducah Sun commissioners are discussing costs outside of new construction, covering food, medical care, and utilities. Newberry also says bylaws for a five- to seven-member board that would oversee operations at the shelter are slated for approval at the Fiscal Court’s first meeting next month.