Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Tue January 15, 2013
McCracken County Fiscal Court Hears Budget Request From Clerk's Office
The majority of the McCracken County Clerk’s office attended the county’s Fiscal Court Meeting yesterday to present more than $20 million in budget requests.
This comes after County Clerk Jeff Jerrell sued the court this summer for forcing his office to convert to the fee pool system. The system requires the office to turn over all fees collected to the treasurer’s office each month. Jerrell lost the suit
but is appealing the decision.
As for the budget presentation, Judge-Executive Van Newberry says the large meeting attendance will not sway the court’s decision regarding approval.
“It’s heavy-handed politics to try to bring people in like that, and it doesn’t work on this fiscal court," newberry said. "We’re not going to be swayed by a bunch of people sitting there—how
many there was, 15 or 20—certainly not.”
The Court asked for more information about the office’s current spending and said members will discuss the issue again at its Jan. 28 meeting.