Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Mon October 8, 2012
McCracken County Deputy Shoots Man with Sword, Gun
Kentucky State Police say a McCracken County sheriff’s deputy shot a man who waved a handgun and sword at him. Deputy Jared Rivera was called Saturday night to a southern McCracken County residence in response to reports the man inside was suicidal. As Rivera approached the house, he found 50-year-old Michael Lakin inside with a handgun. When the officer returned to his vehicle, Lakin appeared in the doorway with the gun and a sword. Rivera ordered him to drop the weapons, but Lakin instead came toward him. Rivera shot Laken twice in the torso. He was taken to a hospital where he remains in serious condition. Kentucky State Police charged Lakin with assault on a police officer.