Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Thu December 5, 2013
McConnell Wins Award From National Organization
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky was one of two political leaders who received the Crime Fighter Award from the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network yesterday.
Democratic U.S. Representative Debbie Wasserman Shultz of Florida also received the honor.
The group's president, Scott Berkowitz, credited McConnell's "extraordinary efforts" for a significant reduction in sexual violence.
Berkowitz praised McConnell for co-sponsoring a bill aimed at ending a backlog of untested DNA evidence in rape cases.
McConnell said that he, as the father of three daughters, takes the issue of sexual violence against women personally.