Most Active Stories
- Archaeological Dig Yields Artifacts Near New Lake Barkley Bridge
- Henderson Co Schools Cutting 80 Positions Next Year
- McConnell and Paul Introduce Tax Bill for Bourbon Producers
- CHART: Kentucky Tourism Spending on the Rise
- Most of Kentucky's GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Vow to Pull the Plug on Kynect
Mon July 16, 2012
McConnell Raises Another Million Dollars for Re-Election
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell has banked another million dollars for his re-election campaign. That gives Kentucky’s senior senator more than $6 million dollars for an election still more than two years away.
The early start in fundraising sends a not-so-subtle signal to would-be Democratic challengers that McConnell is bent on winning a sixth term. Democrats are certain to target McConnell in 2014, just as they did in 2008 when he won re-election to a fifth term and gained the distinction of being the Commonwealth’s longest-serving senator. He spent some $20 million on the last election and won by six percentage points.