Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Mon July 16, 2012
McConnell Raises Another Million Dollars for Re-Election
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell has banked another million dollars for his re-election campaign. That gives Kentucky’s senior senator more than $6 million dollars for an election still more than two years away.
The early start in fundraising sends a not-so-subtle signal to would-be Democratic challengers that McConnell is bent on winning a sixth term. Democrats are certain to target McConnell in 2014, just as they did in 2008 when he won re-election to a fifth term and gained the distinction of being the Commonwealth’s longest-serving senator. He spent some $20 million on the last election and won by six percentage points.