Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon November 30, 2009
McConnell on Afghanistan
By Dan Conti/ Paco Long-Mendez
Washington DC – U-S Senator Mitch McConnell says he's ready to hear what president Obama has decided about the war in Afghanistan and the Kentucky republican says he'll stand with the president if Mr. Obama accepts the advice of his top commander in the field.
McConnell thinks its peculiar the recommendation of general Stanley MacCrystal for a troop buildup in Afghanistan has caused months of reflection
"We thought that was going to be the policy, but now we've had an agonizing period of reappraisal over a number of months. I'm hoping the president is going to decide to do the right thing which is to follow the advice of his generals, if he does I'm going to support him."
McConnell says general MacCrystal was the architect of the successful troop surge in Iraq, so it's hard to understand why the strategy wasn't immediately embraced for Afghanistan, too.