Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Mon November 19, 2012
Man Dead in Southern Ill. Mining Accident
A worker has died after being trapped in machinery Saturday at a Saline County, Ill., mine. The incident happened at Willow Lake Mine. The operation, which employs about 460 people, is run by a subsidiary of Peabody Energy Corporation. Peabody Spokesperson Meg Gallagher says 30-year-old Chad Meyers of Goreville died after being pinned by a continuous mining machine he was operating.
Gallagher says work has stopped while state and federal authorities investigate.