Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri December 5, 2008
Maiden Alley - "The Duchess"
By Todd Hatton
Murray, KY – "The Duchess" sounds like a thoroughly 21st century movie. It stars Keira Knightley & Ralph Fiennes in a story about a vibrant woman confined in a loveless marriage, who fights to realize her personal power and potential. The film, however, is set in the 18th century, & chronicles the life of Georgiana Cavendish, the Duchess of Devonshire. She was active in liberal politics in a time when women's suffrage was still a hundred years away, although she's probably better known as the great-great-great aunt of England's Princess Diana. Todd Hatton spoke with Larry Thomas about "The Duchess," on offer this weekend at Maiden Alley Cinema in Paducah.