Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri May 3, 2013
Madigan Expects ILL Senate To Approve Pension Plan
Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan says he expects his legislative proposal to reform the state's pension systems will trump all others and reach the governor's desk. Madigan's remarks yesterday followed House lawmakers sending the speaker's comprehensive pension-reform plan to the Senate on a 62-51 vote. Senate President John Cullerton is proposing an alternative plan to solve Illinois' $97 billion pension crisis. He has being negotiating a solution with union leaders.
Madigan acknowledges that the difficulty in passing his bill in the House came from opposition from unions and retirees. He says he doesn't expect Cullerton and unions to reach such an agreement that would persuade legislators to back away from his bill.