Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Mon November 17, 2008
Louisville Mayor Announces $20 Million Budget Shortfall
By Carrie Pond
Louisville, KY – Louisville's mayor has ordered a travel and hiring freeze in an effort to curb city spending. The Mayor's office announced Monday a projected 20-million dollar budget shortfall through the end of the fiscal year. The freeze goes into effect immediately, and Mayor Jerry Abramson says his staff will work over the next few weeks to determine where money can be saved elsewhere. He says that could take the form of layoffs and unpaid furloughs. He expects to announce his plans for additional cost cutting by the first week of December.