Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
Thu January 16, 2014
Local Memorial Service Planned For Phil Everly
A memorial service is this weekend for Phil Everly near Central City, where the Everly Brothers entertained for years at a homecoming benefit.
The Central City Tourist and Convention Commission said the service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Merle Travis Center in Powderly with music from cousins of the Everly Brothers and a tribute band.
Phil Everly died January 3 at 74. With his brother, Don Everly, the duo had 19 top 40 hits between 1957 and 1962.
They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and are members of the Country Music Hall of Fame.
The Everly Brothers began the homecoming concerts in 1988 and continued through 2001 to help raise scholarship money and funds for other projects.