Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Department of Education Says Midnight Meetings for Dropout Grants Unnecessary
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Murray Woman Shares Story of Ongoing Persecution of Baha'is in Iran
- USEC Operations at PGPD Won't Continue
Fri December 21, 2012
LG&E, KU Rates to Increase in 2013
The Kentucky Public Service Commission accepted a settlement increasing the base electric and natural gas rates for Kentucky Utilities Company and Louisville Gas and Electric Company customers. The rate increases take effect Jan. 1. The average monthly bill for a KU residential customer will increase around $5. LG&E electric customers can expect around a $4 increase and natural gas customers a $5.50 increase.
The increases will pay for electric transmission and distribution system upgrades, facility improvements and additional employees. The rate changes do not include bill components that fluctuate such as fuel cost adjustments. The last rate change took effect in 2010.