Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon October 7, 2013
Less Prescription Abuse Among KY Teens
A new study has found a dramatic drop in the number of teens abusing prescription drugs.
The Lexington Herald-Leader and The Courier-Journal reported on results of the 2012 Kentucky Incentives for Prevention School Survey released Friday.
It found that since 2008, prescription drug abuse dropped from 15.2% to 9% among high school seniors and from 6.5% to 2.9% among eighth graders.
The state Division of Behavioral Health implemented the survey at 153 public schools and had more than 122,000 students participate.
Governor Steve Beshear and Attorney General Jack Conway credited the decrease to a new law cracking down on prescription pill abuse as well as efforts to educate youth about abusing prescription medicine abuse.