Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon July 23, 2012
Legislative Report Focuses on Rural Development
State Representative Mike Denham of Maysville would like to see some economic development incentive programs that benefit rural districts like his.
The Democrat serves on the Interim Joint Committee on Economic Development and Tourism and was among those who listened to a consultant’s report last week on the Commonwealth’s current initiatives. Denham represents Mason, Fleming and Bracken Counties and he’s hoping for some strategies that stem the flight of people from places like those to urban areas.
"The last census indicates that Kentucky lost population in the rural communities at quite an alarming rate. It appears that they were following the jobs."
Denham says the new report shows Kentucky’s making progress developing a knowledge-based economic sector but that’s because it started so far behind.